Monday, August 31, 2009

No More Naked Windows

Ever since I painted our kitchen several weeks ago, the windows have been very bare. I wasn't crazy about the curtains I had before. While I liked that they were sheer and let in a lot of light, that just didn't seem quite right. Since we have bay window, it makes finding the right curtains and curtain rods a bit trickier. Before we had one curtain rod higher than the others so that all three rods would fit. It looked a little weird.


kitchen 002



When I painted the kitchen, those rods came down and I spackled the gazillion holes left behind so that I could put the rods back wherever I wanted. And the windows stayed bare for weeks.



kitchen 031

Finally this past weekend, I was ready to get some covering on those windows. But I wasn't crazy about the silver color of the original curtain rods. So out came the oil-rubbed bronze Rustoleum. (If can't find this paint, try Lowe's or Home Depot. I just bought this can at one of those places.)

kitchen2 001


kitchen2 002



Luckily, I had saved all the hardware, screws, and anchors in a ziploc baggie so nothing got lost. After an hour and half of drilling new holes, measuring, making sure everything was level, and screwing in all the screws, I had curtain rods up again. I hung them all the same height, and removed the finials from the end of the middle rod so that it looks like one long rod wrapping around the window.



I bought these roll up curtains at Target for $15.99 each. I like them, I'm just trying to decide if the ribbons are too girlie. I wanted something to cover the top of the blinds since one of them is broken without fully obscuring the window. I also like that I can make them as long or short as I want. What do you think?



kitchen2 004



I'm also linking up this post to A Soft Place to Land and the Shabby Chic Cottage. I love DIY days!

DIY Day @ ASPTL






6 comments:

  1. I like it! The bedroom too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely! I wish my windows looked as beautiful as those!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the new window treatments. I don't think it looks too girly at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks great! I have so many naked windows. thanks for making it look easy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice job! Bay windows are so hard. I love what you did!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for visiting my blog! Fun to find yours. I like the roll up curtains...we have similar tan ones in our den. I had them tied with a bow, and then I decided we needed a change, so I tied them differently so they tie on the back of the curtains, and it looks a little cleaner. This may not make sense. Let me know if you want a pic and I can email you one!! :-)

    ReplyDelete

I adore comments, thanks for visiting.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails