Thursday, September 10, 2009

Browned Butter Veggies with Almonds

Yummm. Anything that starts with browned butter is going to be good, right? And hubby ate his veggies without complaint so that's a plus also. This is another recipe from Allrecipes. I was looking for a new way to cook frozen veggies and I came across this one. With some slight modifications, it turned out as a pretty good way to dress up any assortment of fresh or frozen vegetables.

1/4 cup butter (I cut down the original 1/3 cup the recipe called for to less than 1/4 cup)
3/4 teaspoon garlic salt
3/4 teaspoon garlic pepper
(Or use 2-3 cloves minced garlic instead. We love garlic so I use it pretty heavily)
1 tablespoon sliced almonds (or pecans or walnuts. I had walnuts on hand so that's what I used)
1 tablespoon white wine (or chicken broth which is what I used)
2/3 medium onion, chopped (or 2 tablespoons minced onion which is what I used)
1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
1-1/2 cups chopped broccoli
1-1/2 cups chopped cauliflower
(Or just use whatever vegetables you have on hand. This recipe is sized for 4-6 servings so toss in whatever you have. I used frozen broccoli and cauliflower. You can use fresh also.)

1. If using frozen veggies, pop them in the microwave for half the required cooking time as specified on the package. Or you can use thawed frozen veggies. If using fresh, skip this step.

2. Melt butter in a skillet over medium-low heat. Season with garlic salt and garlic pepper(or minced garlic). Mix in nuts and cook until golden brown. (Be sure to cook long enough for the butter to really turn brown and carmelized.)

3. Stir in wine, onion, and veggies. Cook 5 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.

4. Enjoy!



food 003







0 Comments:

Post a Comment

I adore comments, thanks for visiting.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails