Wednesday, February 3, 2010

No More Ugly Cords

After we completed our office makeover, I still wasn't totally satisfied. While I liked the simple desk we built and stained, I was not so crazy about all the computer cords, storage unit, and paper shredder that were all in plain view. Not so delightful.


Luckily, it was a super easy fix. First I picked up a package of stick on velcro. I think it cost around $4 and one package was just the right amount for my 48" long desk. (Hammer not required. Dinner at Red Robin a nice incentive though.)


I attached one side of the velcro strip to the underside of the desk.


Then I attached the other half of the velcro strip to a length of fabric. This was another clearance find at Joanns Fabrics. I think I paid $5 for this one. The fabric is 54" wide so one yard was perfect. I used fabric glue to make a fake hem on the bottom. I didn't care about the top being perfectly straight because it wouldn't show. A kitty helper to hold down your fabric is optional for this part.


Finally, it was as simple as meeting the two velcro halves together to create a nice table skirt. I think it looks much cleaner without all the chord chaos.

I could have stuck the velcro around the outer edge of the desk, but I didn't want to hide the desk legs. They were too expensive to hide.

livingroomprojects 007

I made it a little too long, oops. I might need to "fake hem" the bottom again. Anything is better than a mess of cords though.


3 comments:

  1. That looks great. We also have a cord problem in our house. I should give that quick fix a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great. I have tried to do this but me and Velcro somehow don't mix :)

    ReplyDelete

I adore comments, thanks for visiting.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails